Tuesday, October 16, 2012

would have had, had had, have had

  1. Mourinho has been given a two-match touchline ban and WOULD HAVE HAD to sit in the stands with a minder anyway.

    Here we are talking about the "future in the past".

    At the time the speaker is talking, Mourhino had already received the ban (past). He knew then that for the next match (future, when he got the ban) he would have to sit in the stands.

    Two weeks ago Mourhino got a ban. (past) Two weeks ago (past) he knew that in one week's time, (future) he would have to sit on the bench

  2. I realized I'D HAD it in my pocket all along.

    This is the past perfect form of "have". We use this when we are talking about the past and want to refer to a time in the past which was even earlier.

    So - "I realised" - past simple of 'realise' - (a short event which I now finished.)

    "I had had it" - the thing was in my pocket even before I realised that it was there.

    We could demonstrate this by putting times in, to give you an idea of the time line:

    "At 4 pm I realised that I had put the thing in my pocket at 2 pm." I am telling you about something that happened at 4 pm (I realised), and the thing that I realised had happened even earlier, at 2 pm (I had had it ...)

  3. I HAVE HAD the opportunity to interact with teachers" This is the simple perfect continuous (progressive), and we use it to speak about a finished action in the past, which is connecetd to the present.

    This is connected with the present, because presumably the speaker learned a lot about teachers, and he still has that knowledge:

    In the past I have had French lessons (past) and I can speak some French (present.)
Why? Dunno, just thought that the explanation was very nice

englishforums.com

No comments:

Post a Comment